God is merciful. He will show you compassion.
But if that is all, then you have got a wrong picture of God. He is holy.
You need to look at the holiness of God before you find reasons to justify your surfing the internet to see or read porn.
God understands your struggle. You do not wish to be a slave to sin. But you find yourself return to the vomit time and again as the Bible says (2 Peter 2:22).
Do not deceive yourself by saying to yourself that God will forgive. Yes, he does that through the precious blood of Jesus shed on the cross.
But look at the cross. The punishment that had to fall on you fell on him.
Yes, look to Jesus. You can see love in his eyes. But he came to set captives free (Luke 4:18, John 8:36).
- Therefore the first step to get out of internet pornography is to call it by its true name–sin.
- Step two is to stop justifying your sin. Do not put the blame on your hormones, your friends, or anything else. Accept responsibility like David and say, “I have sinned against the Lord (2 Samuel 12:13; Psalm 51:4).”
- Step number three is to stop relying on your resolution, “This one last time I will look at internet porn. From tomorrow I will stop.” It has never worked and never will.
- Step number four is to spend more time with God’s Word and hiding it in your heart so that you will not sin against God (Psalm 119:11). Yes, the Word of God can strengthen you in your fight against sin and can cleanse your mind of filth.
- Step number five is to seek the help of the Holy Spirit. Without his help you fight an ever-losing battle.
- Step number six, always remind yourself that God has called you to be holy. Fleeing sexual immorality is God’s will for you (1 Corinthians 6:18, 1 Thessalonians 4:3). Therefore run away from all sources of temptation like how Joseph did.
- Finally, return to God with all your heart each time you saw porn. The battle is real. There is no moment you are insulated and safe against temptation. The Bible warns: “So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful you don’t fall (1 Corinthians 10:12)! Just cry out to God for mercy. He will hear you.
But do one thing. Never yield a moment to the devil’s lie that it is impossible to break this evil habit of yours. He is a liar and a murderer always (John 8:44).
Do not deceive yourself by thinking that circumstances were favourable; therefore it was God’s will. Read James 1:13–15 and be warned.
Do not think that it is ok because nobody else is watching me. I am harming no one. All these are lies of the devil. Jesus said, looking lustfully at a woman is already adultery committed with her in one’s heart (Matthew 5:28). So it is your heart’s attitude that is primarily counted. So looking lustfully at an image, movie, picture etc. amounts to adultery.
Remember that each time you see porn you are strengthening the hands of the wicked and pouring out money to them.
Remember this too: When the Bible says that God’s wrath is being revealed against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness (Romans 1:18), wrath certainly includes wrath against pornography as well.
If you are married, then know that you are defiling your marriage bed (Hebrews 13:4) by filling your mind with lust.
If you earnestly repent and seek God with a broken heart, he will restore the joy and sanctity of sex in marriage as he created it to be (Proverbs 5:16–20, Song of Songs).
Stop being unfaithful to God and your beloved wife or husband.
God’s hand is not shortened. He is Almighty. He can deliver you from internet pornography. But the devil would like you to believe that it is impossible.
The question is, do you want to believe the lie of the devil or the truth of God?
Read more posts in Living Streams