We are brought near to God through the blood of Jesus alone. There is no other comfort to a Christian than the knowledge that he has been washed, cleansed and purified by the blood of the Lamb of God. A Christian’s walk of victory is often clouded by frustration as he forgets this divine truth. This usually happens when the devil brings to remembrance some past sin. Then the Christian in a foolish act begins to worry about it and begins to beg God’s forgiveness again and again–AS IF the sin had never been forgiven! The Bible tells us that there is no need to be in such sorrow of heart.
Let us look at some of the reasons:
- In Hebrews chapter 9 we read that “without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness” (v.22b)
- Ephesians chapter 1 verse 7 tells us that we have redemption (to be redeemed means to be saved from the power of evil) and forgiveness through the blood of Jesus. Paul also adds that this is in accordance with God’s grace that He lavished on us. By God’s grace, he means that forgiveness of sins comes not by any human effort. It is all the kindness and mercy of God. So when we come to Jesus we are forgiven all our sins.
- Peter tells us in 1 Peter chapter 1 verses 17 to 19 that we were redeemed not with perishable things like silver or gold, “but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.” This tells us of the preciousness of the blood of Christ.
- John tells us that the blood of Jesus purifies us from all sin if we walk in God’s light (I John 1:7).
- In Hebrews chapter 9 and verse 14 we read that the blood of Christ is sufficient to “cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death.” This is to enable us to serve the living God.
Let us do so without shame, guilt or fear for we have been washed, cleansed and purified by the precious blood of the Lamb!